The City of Bremen Water Plant is a surface water treatment facility with two water resources.
Water is life!
Inside the Home
- Reduce energy consumption as power companies use water to produce electricity.
- FIX any and all leaks.
- Refrigerate water for consumption.
- Refrigerate or microwave to defrost food, do not use water.
- Reduce dish washing. Scrape food from plates or pans before placing in dishwasher to avoid pre-wash or pre-rinse cycles. Wash full loads only.
- Do not use kitchen sink disposals.
- Reuse clean cooking water for outdoor watering.
- Do not use toilets as trash cans, flush only when necessary.
- Cut water off when brushing teeth or shaving.
- Shower, don’t bathe.
- Install ultra low fixtures and commodes.
- Wash full loads of laundry.
- Sweep, don’t mop.
Outside the Home
- Mulch plants.
- Prioritize plants, fertilize only those plants.
- Mow grass at a higher blade setting.
- Water once a week at night.
- Turn off timers on sprinkler systems.
- Aerate lawn area.
- Learn how to read your water meter and keep a record of consumption.
- Add food coloring to toilet tank. If toilet is leaking, the color will appear in the tank.
- Replace fixtures with ultra-low fixtures.
- Avoid flushing toilets un-necessary.
- Purchase water efficiency washing machines/dishwashers when replacing old machines.
- Insulate hot water pipes you will receive hot water sooner.
- Use commercial car wash instead of hand washing.
- Sweep, don’t wash driveways, basements or walkways.
How much do we use?
- Brushing teeth-1 gal.
- Drinking 1/2 gal.
- Flushing toilet 2-7 gal.
- Washing dishes 9-20 gal.
- Washing clothes 30 gal.
- Taking a shower 1-4 gal.
- Taking a bath 7-15 gal.
- Watering the lawn 30-100 gal.